Enjoy this dish with either white or red wine — try a Vermentino from Tuscany, a Pinot Grigio from the Alto Adige, a Nebbiolo from Langhe, or (my favorite) a Vernaccia Nerra from Marche.
Sprouted Lentils with Bell Pepper and Feta Cheese
This recipe uses mixture of green, brown and black lentils that are pre-sprouted – this recipe uses the Sprouted Lentil Trio from trūRoots. If you are sprouting the lentils yourself, the preparation time will be longer. Grilled lamb is a nice match paired a red wine – try a peppery Austrian Blaufränkish, a Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley or a Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
Author: Anne Press
- 1 ½ cups sprouted lentils
- Olive Oil
- 1 ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 ¼ cup thinly sliced scallion
- ⅓ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper
- Lemon zest
- Feta cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the lentils in water until tender but still chewy. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan and add enough oil to coat the surface. Sauté the bell peppers on medium-high heat about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the scallion to the pan and cook an additional 2 minutes stirring to prevent scorching.
- Increase heat, add broth and cook down for 1 minute.
- Add lentils and combine.
- Season with salt and a good amount black pepper to taste.
- Add a pinch of crushed red pepper to enhance the flavor – use it very sparingly to avoid creating heat – remove from burner.
- Stir in crumbled feta.
- Garnish with lemon zest and drizzle with EVO.