Marsala Caramelized Pears with Sweet Ricotta
Author: Anne Press
- 4 firm pears
- ½ cup Sweet Marsala Wine
- Raw sugar
- 1 tablespoons light honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- Super Fine Sugar
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a nonreactive baking dish large enough to hold the pear halves without crowding them and leave any excess butter in the dish.
- Peel, halve, and core the pears.
- Lightly sprinkle the cut-side of pears with sugar and them place cut-side down in the backing dish. Divide the honey among the pears brushing the sides that are facing up.
- Pour the Marsala in the dish, cover the whole dish with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the foil, baste the pears with the accumulated juices and return dish to oven. Continue to bake 25-35 minutes basting the pears with the juices and adding more wine if necessary. The sugar and the Marsala burn easily so keep a close eye on them! The pears should be tender but not mushy with a lovely caramelized edge.
- Invert pears and allow them to cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix the fresh ricotta with sugar and vanilla to your taste.
- Stand one pear half on about ¼ cup of the ricotta mixture and garish with mint and cinnamon.